[Harp-L] The Great Search for Amplified Tone

I just played a gig tonight and I got a ton of compliments from the other
musicians on my amplified tone.

I have spent the last two years looking for that nasty chicago amplified
sound. Trying different amps, techniques and now pondering spending $$$ on
custom bullet style microphones. All the while, I had everything I needed.
About 2 years ago, Jim Mcbride started taking lessons with me. He brought
over his little bottle of blues microphone and I encouraged him to patent
that thing! Sell it. I thought it was a great idea. BUT, I thought of it
more as a toy..a beginner microphone. Tonight, I have to give a hats off to
Jim. After 2 years of messing with different mics and amps. I did something
so simple. I turned the gain way up on my fender super, cranked the mike
volume 90 % tilt and HOLW COW! That sucker screamed! I could not believe it.
I compared it to a modified bushman torpedo with a vintage crystal element
and Jim's mike blew it away. Nastier tone, more volume and less feedback.
Plus, it is like holding air. Small and easy to hold. I'm sorry
afficionados, but I hate holding bullet mikes. Thanks Jim!

p.s. tongue blocking also makes a huge difference (at least I think) in your
amplified tone. It makes it much meatier...I also made that switch over the
last year.

--
Matthew Smart
www.harpcase.com