Re: [Harp-L] Worlds Best Blues Harp Player _ Jason Ricci

Roger Boyce <roger.boyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > DENVER - There are times, like the other night in a motorcycle bar, when
> > the man many consider to be the best blues harp player in the world looks out
> > at the audience and wonders what he's doing.>
>
> With all due respect to Jason Ricci's formidable virtuosity I will join the
> late Muddy Waters in declaring Paul De Lay the best in the world.

i cringed a little when i read that statement in the article.  i understand
the point brad was trying to make, but it invites arguments like this one,
and i find the notion of "best harp player" ludicrous.

jason is the best out of a field of one; nobody else is making his own particular
style of music.  he'll be the first to tell you about other harp players he thinks
are better than him.  but it doesn't matter, in the same way it never mattered if
jerry garcia was the "best" guitarist.  jerry's sound was his own, so is jason's.
nobody else plays like either one of them.

which is a good thing.  if all the harp players played the same, we'd only need one.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.