[Harp-L] chromatic issues

Paul Bowering wrote:

"This is important to me because I'm just a couple
years into the game. I've tried OBs, half-valving and
altered tunings. I'm far enough along to make decent
if not spectacular use of them all but not so far
along as to have developed a style that is intimately
bound to any. I've frustrated myself in looking for a
one approach solution. Maybe there isn't one. At least
it's got me thinking."

I find there rarely is a single solution to complex problems. With exceptions, no two songs are the same, and thus won't pose the same issues and challenges. Thus, what works for song A might not work for song B. If the songs are very similar, it might, but that little difference might make all the world's difference. Knowing when to use what (bends, overblows, valved bends, alternate tunings, harp- switching, etc...) would seem the best thing to work on to give you the maximum number of choices.

"Speaking of valved diats; how do they figure? I'm
really only aware of PT Gazell and Iron Mike Curtis as
top level players who use valves to acheive
chromaticism. Are the same tonal considerations
attendant?"

The issues surrounding standard bends and overblows for "chromaticism" exist no less for valved bends. That's why these issues are still very much present for something like the XB-40 or Suzuki Overdrive. Valved bends have essentially the same set of issues as and other accidental notes compared to the natural ones of a diatonic: a difference in timbre from natural notes, a difference in phrasing of how the note is addressed and the problems of accurate intonation. The specifics of technique and how to limit, address and use these is different (as it is between overblows and dual-reed bends), but the overall issues remain.

"And finally...
if all the above is true then I assume it would apply
to the chromatic as well whereby the chro would be THE
axe for certain applications but not the best choice
for others, even with all 12 tones available. Would
that be a fair assessment?"

Somewhat. Assuming you aren't going to be trying to get all your accidentals via bending and decide instead to use the slider, you can play the entire 12-tone Wester scale without the issues raised when doing so on a diatonic via the use of bends, overblows and the like (you do still have the issues surrounding legato inherent to a bidirectional instrument, where some notes are draw only and others blow only). Thus, that question is avoided. But, that doesn't mean that a chromatic is always the right choice for every song and ever situation--indeed, it also doesn't mean that a chromatic in C is always the right choice for any given song, or that you might not want to use alternate tunings on the chromatic as well. Moreover, there are also specific issues the chromatic has that the diatonic doesn't--they are different beasts and while the similarities are greater than the differences, they are not interchangeable.

Also, I would veer away from the suggestion that there is ever "THE axe" for any song--there is instead only what is right for the given situation and the desired effect. And that may be different for you than for me, or for anyone else.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'