[Harp-L] Hazmet Modine at Joe's Pub in NYC

I had the opportunity to see Wade and his gang of harmonica and other eclectic instrumentalists on Saturday night. One song into the musically adventurous show and you knew why it was sold out. Wade Schuman (one of the most amazing diatonic players in the world) shared the stage with the always great (haunting at times) Randy Weinstein on chromatic (as well as background diatonic and the occasional Chinese sheng) and guest stars Dennis Gruenling (the blusiest of the bunch on his low tunings and always amazing tone) and Trip Henderson (who lives in the world of bluegrass diatonic these days) on background diatonic for a total of 4 harp players. The woman who accompanied me (they call themselves blues molls) couldn't decide on which was more engaging: Wade's charisma or his musical talent. All kidding aside this guy knows how to entertain an audience. Interesting and generous solos within a Cajuny-Slavic-Bluesey pluralism of song structures. And something I noticed which as a musician is becoming more and more important to me: Brevity, i.e., none of the songs were too long. Anyway I'm out to play some of my own music now. Just wanted to acknowledge the magic this band is expressing. dennis (nyc)