Subject: [Harp-L] Best Harp show...Jason Ricci

Jeff writes:

"Again, Mssr. Ricci's Friday show at SPAH this year...never have I  been so
glad to live in Denver...

Jeff G"

....and I have to second that.  Not that I've a lot of  experience with other
harmonica acts outside of the last two Buckeye  and SPAH's  (though there
have been extremely good ones....Madcat,  Howard Levy, Bonfiglio, Pat
Ramsey...I'm honored to have heard them all  play in the recent past).

 Now it seems I've become something I never before thought  I would...a bona
fide groupie, rather late in life...and all because of  the irreverent,
story-telling, f'-bomb dropping, profane and very funny,  OCD kitty-cat of Harp-L -
Jason Ricci.    :)

I'm not from Denver....Jeff's lucky... I trekked all the way  from the East
Coast.  Perhaps some day a Convention will make its way  here...in the meantime
I  make it my aim to catch as many of JR  & New Blood's shows as they're able
to bring to New York...   The last time I saw him at Terra Blues in the
Village, he added an off the  cuff and unrehearsed  jaw-dropping rendition of
Summertime with  just his bass player (Todd Edmunds),  making everyone in the
audience sit up and take notice of this whole new jazz sound our boy was  putting
out there...wonderful, innovative stuff.  In that  dimly-lit club, he's in his
element....the audience thrilled to be  witnessing this new direction....

Yet ...onstage in Denver, as Jeff has said....SPAH '06.  Far too  brightly
lit, not the best chairs...sound or setting. Not enough of an  audience...  None
of it mattered.  It was by far the most  exciting performance I've ever seen
by a musician....including Jason  before that.  He was beyond good....edging
into the outrageous  column.

..the bar has been raised folks..

....and I'm still reeling...

Elizabeth