[Harp-L] Re: New Band

Mark sez :

Excerpt .

I've been invited by a local guitar player to join his band. Here's a list of the stuff they're into,

Tom Petty, Who, Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Bryan Adams, Kinks,
Rascals, Neil Young, Lovin Spoonful, John Melloncamp Jackson Brown, Gin Blossoms, Elvis Costello, etc....

I like a lot of this music, but frankly, when it comes to playing
harmonica, I prefer playing the blues .

Hurricane sez:

Will Vogtman made it pretty clear about the " give & take " a band has to have in it to be a winner in the long run .

When " Pop " was started The Blues was " it " .

Edison's first song(s) ever recorded on that first cylinder recording device ( yep the first ever recording instrument made ) was The Blues .

Most of those names you mentioned are basic Rock-N-Roll's that use 1-4-(b)5 chord changes that

The Blues uses ---

It's a sort of " Defacto " type thing that Rock-N-Roll is predicated upon , so what's the biggie ?

Search it out and realize that the bands you mentioned mostly  are using the The Blues whether or not they or you know it .

Do not be afraid to " stick " your neck out and take a chance my friend , it's not as scary as it seems .

I recall many an interview of " The British Wave " musicians  that hit the US , American DJ's would eventually ask how they ( The Stones , Eric Clapton , Jeff Beck and others ) got their fantastic

 " New Sound "

- - - and their answer was always pretty much the same . They mentioned :

Muddy Waters
Bo Diddly
T-Bone Walker

The list of American Blues giants went on and on with the likes of

Albert King , Memphis Minnie

were spelled out to these dummies  while their faces ( DJ's ) contorted at the answer(s) , guys like Dick Clark from

" American Bandstand "

for example we totaly out of it and didn't have a clue , till the young Brits layed the truth on their collective ignorant and suprized astonished " payola " faces .

Congrats Mark and enjoy the ride.

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :