RE: [Harp-L] Finding the Position - "Summertime"

Mmm ..  "When Johnny..." was the first song I just played by ear on the
natural-minor (3B start - or 7B if your ears can stand it (I have a high
Fnm)), and your keying is where I'm playing on the natural minor harp.   But
does it fit too well?

Part of this exercise has been to try and evaluate whether I am
"over-fitting" things - playing a straight them at the cost of expressive
bends, etc.  I've had at least 5 different ways of playing so far on the
Richter, but a couple include overblows that I can't do yet.  The feel of
each one is different, depending on what you want legato, pitching, etc.
It's an excellent illustration of position.  And I'm really enjoying the
samples I have received...!

I'm also really thinking for the first time about how the parallel minor
scale actually works vs a blues scale; for some reason my "guitar band"
background got me thinking in terms of majors scales, not minor, despite my
classical stuff featuring lots of minor.  The blues scale is fundamentally a
minor pentatonic with a blue note added, so a minor ought to be almost more
compatible.  The versatility of playing in so many different positions is
making me think hard about keys and positions, and where each position
"drops" its bends.

	Thanks
Mike