From: George Brooks <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Moyer <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Finding the Position - "Summertime"
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 01:42:17 -0400

I agree with Tim Moyer that it's good to try a tune in a number of positions to see where it lays out best and to expand one's musical reach. I usually play Summertime in 4th position (Am on a C harp). The song lays out perfectly without overblows or overdraws. You do have to bend accurately for the A in the lower register (3rd hole draw bent down a whole tone). In the upper register, you don't even need bends to play the melody. The first three notes in this position (all blow) are 5-4-5 or 8-7-8.

I disagree with Tim, though, when he states: "There are only 2 Bs on a C harp...." I guess you could customize a harp to have only two by blocking hole 10 with putty, but one of the glories of the short harp is its three octave range. Ten hole C harmonicas in standard Marine Band tuning have Bs at 3 draw, 7 draw, and the intermediate (half-step) blow bend in hole 10.

This gives you another option for playing the song in 5th position. The first three notes in this position in the upper register are 10 half-step blow bend-9 blow-back to the 10 half-step blow bend. You no longer need an overblow; instead, you have to be able to hit the 9 hole blow bend. And, of course, the hole 10 half-step (intermediate) blow bend. Personally, I think 5 OB is an easier note and 4th a more natural position, but it's good to stretch, and your blow bends will get stronger (they'll have to!) if you practice the song in 5th position in the upper register.

George