[Harp-L] RE: Most amazing harmonica shows

I've got to agree with FJM. Hans Olson is an underappreciated great rack harp player. His career has seen some real setbacks, I remember years ago he did a recording session with some heavyweight players (seems like Al Cooper was on one session, etc) , then could only get the tapes by agreeing not to make anything off of them. He also ran a blues club for awhile, and one night heavy rain collapsed the roof over the stage, ruining equipment. He toured with Brownie McGhee for awhile in the southwest, so some folks may have seen those shows. Still at it, he sometimes does an opening act at the Rhythm Room for touring acts but I don't think he goes on the road anymore.
And about Bill Tarsha, I think it's real shame he's not better represented by recordings. Ever since the death of his regular drummer, and going down to a three piece with Bill doing the drumming most of the time, most people that see his band don't get to really see the full range of what he can do. A contemporary of Piazza, Estrin, etc, in years past he's played with many of the greats, (I've seen him back up George Smith and others) and his technique is just flawless. A great Chicago style player and tone monster, for sure and I'm lucky to have gotten to know him pretty well over the years .
From my own memory, the best harp show that comes to mind was seeing the Bacon Fat with both Piazza and Smith in 71 at the Ash Grove in LA. They'd just gotten back from recording in the UK, were added on at the last minute to a show featuring Big Mama Thornton, and maybe 30 people in the place. Smith (wearing a red satin church choir gown) and Piazza were tearing up the stage, going head- to-head, with a young Richard Innes on drums, Buddy Reed (later with Bill Tarsha here in Phoenix for many years) on guitar, JD Nicholson on piano, and I can't recall the bassist. I saw George many times in later years but this really seeing him still in his prime and Rod, even early on, was pretty exiting too.