[Harp-L] Re: [BluegrassHarp] Dr Banjo's view of harmonica

It still remains a matter of "each to his own" opinion.  Most people hardly
ever hear me breathe when I play fast or slow, unless I am having some sort
of unfixable sinus problem, in which case they would hear me breathe when I
sing or play bass or....  By the same token, many singers can be seen and
heard breathing, as can string players.  We used to have a "frog award" for
certain string players because of the contortions their face went through
while they played.  The facial contortions were actually that distracting
from the music.  Should they hang it up because they don't have a poker
face?  And, through it all, you could tell when they were holding their
breath as they played, so we could hear them breathe, however light the
sound might be.

Pete can be a great guy, or a demanding one, letting the frustration of the
moment color his perception and behavior.  For that matter, that can be said
about many of us.  However, I was watching when Jim and Jesse had Mike
Stevens in the band and the members of the audience were cheering the
harmonica on, loudly.  Flatt and Scruggs let Earl Taylor play harmonica
occasionally, long before they worked anything out with Charlie McCoy, so
something must have been alright with the instrument as far as they were
concerned.  Charlie was not their first experiment with the instrument.

Not knowing of any great, well-known, or popular bluegrass bands that have a
harmonica player is not much of a measure either.  There are hundreds of
thousands of bluegrass bands all over the country, but only a very small
group is known as "great", or are well-known or "popular". There are
hundreds of thousands of banjo players across the country, yet only so many
manage to become "great" and end up in these few "great", well-known, or
"popular" bands.  But those bands generally would seek out a banjo player if
they needed one, because they know it is necessary for the music they play.
However, they might not seek out a dobro player.  How many "great",
well-known, or "popular" dobro players are there in comparison to the
banjo?  The overall population is going to be smaller, but not so small as
to explain why every "great", well-known, or "popular" band out there does
not have a dobro player.  Many marvelous dobro players have to wait their
turn for their opportunity "knock" alongside the many wonderful banjo
players whose names you will also never know.

If a harmonica player is good enough to play the faster tunes, as the other
instruments do, then he would himself be rather well accomplished and would
be amongst the few outstanding in his field.  Unlike the world of banjo or
dobro or the other stringed instruments in the band, the population of
harmonica players who are accomplished enough just to keep up with such a
band is pretty small.  Consequently, finding a single band with a harmonica
player in it might be quite difficult, especially in the realm of the type
of popularity Jim and Jesse receive.  Yet, Jim and Jesse had one, and,
according to recent reports may have another.  (There are folks who have
sworn to me that Jim and Jesse had a harmonica player with them this year.
I haven't seen them play this year, so I don't know personally.  I have been
busy playing my own gigs.)

I can show you one band that is popular enough regionally that we have been
requested by many of the same events and venues for many years.  (
http://manchacaallstars.tripod.com)  In this band, I have played guitar,
mandolin, bass, and harmonica at various times over the years.  My harmonica
gets requested back into the band anytime we leave it out -- by our fans.
With this bunch, I primarily play the instrumentals (fast or slow) and play
bass and sing harmony the rest of the time.  Once the fiddler and banjo
player take their breaks, they will look to me to put in one on the
harmonica before they take their next turns.

Like any instrument in a performance situation, you will want to alter the
instrumentation of the band periodically to alter the sound and approach to
different songs/tunes.  Here is where we fail to consider the band's view on
all of this.  No one song is going to need every instrument you can play to
be on it.  So a particular band may use the harmonica only occasionally on
purpose -- not so much because the harmonica doesn't fit or the player is
incapable, but, simply, because they want the sound to change.  That may
also be the reason behind their addition of harmonica to a song/tune.  Each
player and each band is different and approaches things differently.

Obviously, I don't agree entirely with Pete, but that is not necessarily
new.  We are, after all, still in the world of opinion.  Given time and the
growth of a population of players able to hold their own in such situations,
you may begin to see more harmonica players on the scene.  Since getting to
that level is typically exceptionally difficult on harmonica, the time we
hit that "critical mass" of players may be far, far in the future.  That is
why it is important now to keep working on our skills and knowledge and help
those who want to try their hand at the music on our instrument learn the
ropes.  For every 50 beginners, you may find one able to "go the distance",
and then they have a lot more to learn to work with the other instruments
and musicians.  The job is not impossible, just daunting --
challenging.  So, ONWARD  BLOW!!!

Cara