[Harp-L] a dental hazard

. . . . well I can say first hand that it is !
My injury wasn't all from the harp though but was
assisted by the jews harp. Over the course of about
two years of constant gigging one of my lower middle
teeth loosened. I'd lay up for a few days and it would
tighten up but I kept gigging and it got worse.
Eventually the gum got infected and over time the
tooth next to it loosened and got infected. At that
point I had to stop playing. Finally
got to the point that I had to go to the dentist.
Xrays showed advanced gum infection and lost bone.
Upon returning the next week for the extractions I
ended up loosing the three lower middle teeth. The two
grand I spent could have bought some nice harps. I had
to stop playing for awhile and was pretty bummed out
but after some adjustment to style got back into it. I
think it actually helped my jews harp playing because
I don't have to worry about wacking my teeth any
longer. With the harp I often hold a cowbell or claves
while playing and wacking them at the same time which
would lead to the teeth impact. Southern, classic, and
blues rock.
That was then and I've had to slow down, am 60 now and
can't handle my past frantic pace so my old nick name
of Wildman is turning to oldman. I've had other
injuries from playing music, anyone else have any
music related  injury tales to share?
Wail On,
Reach