Re: [Harp-L] re: practice

There's a Zen saying I recalled: "if I keep pouring tea into a full cup, it will just overspill. Likewise, we cannot understand zen unless we empty our previous thoughts."

One reason harmonica do not have much future is not whether we practice, or what music we play. It's whether we decided to finally follow the rules of general musician. That means, if the music is to be numerical, we have to play it as exact. To me, that's more of musicianmenship then to be able to simply play beautifully, which I trust most, if not all of us, can do.

As seen from that guy who said he hates Bach: that's exactly the attitude that caused us our chance to be recognized. Many of us simply play blues harp and blues, and at most venture to jazz. Classical? "Too mechanical, too numerical..."

But, classical is suppose to be technical; it's these technicality that makes these music so difficult to play, and so appriciate. If I want to express my emotion, I would just sing a song.

Have you noticed that when he practice, he also have to meditate? You have to let go of emotions in order to be able to play music technically well. Just because you have emotions, does not mean you have to express it. Even if you play and induce emotions to others, you yourself should be nothing more then being at peace with himself.

So the real question is: whether we want to be recognized, or able to play our music. If we want to be recognized, we have to be willing to sacrifice what we thought to be right ? including emotions in music ? and follow the tradition old way. That means, play chromatically, and etc. Only when we have truly established ourself can we begin to introduce others to our idea of music.

Or, if you really want to be recognized, try making controverseies. the King and KISS is more famous for controverseies they generate then their music.

Experience Live Search from your PC or mobile device today. http://www.live.com/?mkt=en-ca