De: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]En nombre de
Roscoharp@xxxxxxx
Enviado el: viernes, 20 de octubre de 2006 13:20
Para: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: [Harp-L] re: New Band also re: best show seen list

Mark Wilson writes:

"I've been invited by a local guitar player to join his band.  Here's
a list of the stuff they're into, Tom Petty, Who, Stones, Beatles,  Beach
Boys, Bryan Adams, Kinks,
Rascals, Neil Young, Lovin Spoonful, John  Melloncamp
Jackson Brown, Gin Blossoms, Elvis Costello, etc....

I like  a lot of this music, but frankly, when it comes to playing
harmonica, I  prefer playing the blues. This summer I had an informal
jam session with  another guitar player who played mostly 60's and
70's folksy type rock  material. We had a decent time, but I didn't
feel I played well and I never  really got into the music, so we never
hooked up again, although he wanted  to. I'm afraid of getting myself
into the same situation here. My gut tells  me, this type of music
doesn't really lend itself to much harmonica, as most  of the
original material has very little harmonica in it, so I think  I'm
probably going to pass.

Anyone out there on the list have  experience playing with this type
of band? Looking for some advice and  feedback before I call him back
tomorrow.

Mark"

Hey Mark,
 If all you WANT to play is blues, then don't join that band. If  you are
worried about the challenge of learning & fitting into new types of
material, I
understand. I've been trying to fit harp unto funk, big horn bands,  folk, &
rock/pop for years. It's an ongoing learning process, but lots of  fun.
  I play in a rock/pop band that does a few covers from bands like  those
you
mention. I've also played for years in other bands that did a lot of  this
stuff.  If the band is understanding enough, experiment with different
sounds.
Listen to the tunes & try to figure how the harp can contribute. One  thing
do a LOT is use  chorus effects that can make the harp sound  something like
an organ. This allows you to participate in the rhythm  section & not be
relegated to only squeezing in the occasional  solo.(This will not work well
if
there is already a keyboard player in the  band.)
 You can use octave/pitch shift effects to fake horns.
You can double guitar lines.
 Etc.Etc.
 There is not enough harp in non-blues music---you can  be an  ambassador.

Also: I've been thinking about my " best live show Ive  heard" list. It's
damn hard to pick from literally hundreds of great shows,  but I'll try to
post
something next week. Great topic.

Off to Columbus OH for another one of those low pay/high expense gigs Jason
Ricci writes about. Good thing I love music..................

 Later,
Rosco
_may.be  au.gust_ (http://www.maybeaugust.com/)
 (http://cdbaby.com/cd/maybeaugust) b_uy CDs, sample music:CD Baby: maybe