Re: [Harp-L] Before/After the Beat

One of the most insightful our friend Jason R. ever taught me was his
definition of "swing" (forgive me, Jason, if I misquote). He said that to
swing isn't a prescribed time signature, rhythm, or style. To really swing
is all about how you mess with that time signature, rhythm, or style.
Playing a little before or after the beat is key to this. Varying speed,
timing and tempo even within a single 12 bar passage can add so much texture
and enjoyment for your listeners, and can actually emphasize the rhythm of
the rest of the song by making the listener more conscious of it by your
deviating from it. Your deviation from the rhythm also can create a lovely
amount of tension, and then release when you find it again.  So much can be
done.

That said, there are lots of really good players with really good
chops/tone/etc. who get in to rhythmic ruts.

Players that swing, or play off the beat well, if you will: Adam Gussow,
Dennis Gruenling, Paul De Lay, Carlos Del Junco (A track of his I'm
currently listening to for this exact purpose is "Lonely Buzz" off of Big
Boy).

I'm sure I'm forgetting some greats, but I wanted to provide a few
contemporary exmples. I also am sure I'm sleighting some people on this list
who swing, but I'm doing this off the top of my head and my meager record
collection, please forgive any painfully obvious omissions.

- Blake