Re: [Harp-L] The Best shows I Ever Saw (Long little harp content)

Ben -

If it helps at all, My dad and I went to the Tall Stacks festival here in
Cincinnati last week and saw Buddy (and Musselwhite, Blind Boys, John Hiatt,
Delbert, John Hammond, Dr. John, etc...)

Anyway, as a musician and someone who has seen a lot of live music over the
years, I was absolutely blown away by Buddy's set.  I'd seen him a couple
times before and liked him a lot, but nothing like this. And it wasn't even
his playing so much, which was fine, but my god, his presence and delivery
was terrifying. Ain't that a man!?!? The guy is 70 ish, and I would not want
him around any teenage daughter of mine.  He owned the large outdoor crowd
(standing only).  He went out in to the crowd and walked around for quite
some time, but between his voice, and sheer presence...man, what raw command
and power.

Oh, and I really like Musselwhite's new guitarist. Really got an old-time
vibe.  I'm one of the few people on this list that doesn't care for the new
cd, despite being a fan of Charlie since I was in high school, but he put on
a good show. Hung out and talked / signed autographs for a long time
afterward. He was playing through a fireball, which was my first time seeing
/ hearing one of them used. Sounded like Charlie, but perhaps a bit more
compressed.

Anyway, Buddy's still got it...at least he had it that night. My dad's still
raving.

2nd best show that weekend? John Hiatt. Never seen him before. Kicked
serious ass.  Most disappointing? Delbert. Weirdest thing - if you closed
your eyes or turned away, he/the band was awesome. The voice, the delivery -
great. If you watched his performance, it semed kinda sad. He just paced
like Ozzy...or one of those "retro" concerts you see on PBS of three dog
night or steppenwolf....Mic in hand...back and forth....nowhere to hide....

- Blake