Re:[Harp-L] Poor Man's Chord harp--Diatonic Diminished tuning

Gary Lehmann wrote:
> I just retuned an unsuspecting LO in C to a half-whole scale-so
> it's two diminished seventh arpeggios, one for draw, one for
> blow.
>
> I didn't see this tuning in Pat Missin's list-odd, since it
> gives you a chromatic scale with the half step bends. And lots
> of fun to jam on.
<snip>

G wrote:
>  What you list is the tuning people generally mean when they talk
> about "diminished tuning" for diatonic harmonica.  It is listed in
> Pat Missin's "Altered States" TNGS005.TXT under
> "Diminished Tuning - AS 5.3c"

Gary's tuning is very similar to the Diminished tuning detailed in
Pat's Altered States AS 5.3c, the difference being the interval at
hole 7 to the flat 5th, then picking up the pattern again with the
ommission of the minor 3rd.  I assume this was done for convenience
of tuning, to reduce the amount that the upper reeds would need to
be moved.

As I pointed out in a post about a month ago
(http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/harp-l-archives/message/45148)
it's far easier to make a regular diminished tuned harp starting
with solo tuning, where there there is a regular pattern repeating
every four holes per octave.  In fact, starting with a 12-hole solo
tuning, the draw plate only has three notes that need to be
altered.  The blow plate is a little more involved, but nothing more
than three semitones.

-tim