Re: [Harp-L] capturing and holding audiences/FRONTMAN/SIDEMAN

Steve,

  First of all, I'll address the sideman issue.  A sideman's job is to fit the band he or she is hired for in the most seamless fashion possible.  A sideman's job is NOT to attract attention away from the frontman (or woman) or the band for that matter.  When soloing, don't hold back--do your thing to the best of your abilities, then step back into the shadows.

  As a non-front member of the band, you have a little more freedom.  Just be careful to know when the front man is the absolute center of attention--like slow, emotional, "spotlight" songs.  You have to really know what the frontman thinks and feels in order to attract attention without distracting from him.  This takes time.  Communication with the frontman is the best thing.

  As the frontman (or woman), bring down as many barriers between you and the audience as safely possible.

  Open with a familiar tune--put your own twist on it.

  Interact with the crowd--wireless is great--both vocal and instrument.

  A little stupid choreography goes a long way.

  Be emotionally committed to the music.  100%.  Have fun with the fun tunes.  Show the pain on your face for tragic tunes.  Be real with it--don't overplay it.

  Replace a solo with a dual lead--guitar and harp is always nice.  It takes some practice, but it's worth it.

  Dress for success.  A good pair of shoes is important.

  Remember that a club gig is different than a concert.  Don't just stand still and play or sing.  Move a little.  Use some body English.

Hope this helps.  I'm no expert by any means, but this is what I do.

http://www.channelcatsbluesband.20m.com
http://www.cdbaby.com/willvogtman
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=CDB0693830012