[Harp-L] Fwd: [SlideMeister] Stars........... fell on Alabama

Ahh, where to begin?

On Wed., Cass & I pulled out of SW Fla for the 13 hr (time zone change)
trip. We brought along slidemeister Ron Burton whose car was sick.

Thursday started out with a bang at 11 am and they went right into the
entertainment. Fri, they started the same thing at 9 am. Same thing
Sat. It seemed like there was continuous entertainment from the get-go
with seminars weaved and interspersed in between and also running
concurrent.

Didn't get to hear Buddy Green but I have heard him before. Otherwise,
I was stunned by the expertise exhibited. My first time hearing Wailin
Wood and I even got a chance to overhear him giving impromptu lessons
to people in the hall and a youngster out in the 'smoker's patio'. This
guy is obviously a very good teacher, and without peer when it comes to
entertaining a crowd. Some of the stuff he did was impossible?

Jimi Lee. WOW, what a dynamo. He has an illegal amount of energy and
has no right to be that vivacious. He went non stop like the energizer
bunny and kept EVERYONE interested in the fest with a solid 72 hours of
jamming, in ADDITION to his several power packed shows. Jimi plays
better racked than most people using hands. PLUS, his guitar ain't
shabby neither. Meanwhile I have trouble smoking a cigarette and
drinking coffee at the same time. I wasn't surprised as I had seen him
in Dallas.

Joe Filisko. Oh what can I say. I have been told many times that for a
man to call another man a 'sweet guy' is a non-sequeter. Still, in all,
in the 14 years I have known him, he stands alone when it comes to
selflessness. Along with being one of the most sought after
personalities at harmonica functions worldwide, he can make em talk,
cry, sing, hum. During his teach in he walked around serving glasses of
water. I thought I would help and so picked up a pitcher and some
glasses. He jokingly told me I was creating a labor dispute because I
was depriving him of work. That's Joe, always the card.

Tommy Bounds, A more local talent, I had never heard him. What a treat.
I have his CD and will be doing some of his stuff this Sunday at the
Unitarian church in Ft. Myers.

Musique de la Maison. This Cajun group brought back memories of when I
lived in Nola, down on Costello st by the industrial canal, and worked
at the Dravo Corp. yards. I remembered Cajun Pete's radio program, and
all the great Arcadian tunes. Even got a few tips on my Diatonic
squeeze box.

P.T. Gazell. Phil is FAST becoming one of my very favorites. He joins
Allen Holmes at the top of my list. I had known about his method of
harp work as I got it from Ron Kalina 12 yrs ago, but Phil made it all
make sense. His tuning is tricky to master (like the XB-40) because
it's easy to 'over-shoot'. A man who never uses too many (nor too few)
notes. Everything fits.

John Gindick. Another dynamo. I don't know where these guys get the
energy. It's like they have an 'in' with Nicolai Tesla or something.
Thoroughly enjoyed John and can understand the success of his jam
camps. It's like he wears an unwritten sign across his chest saying
'you gotta like me'. What a bubbly character

I already mentioned Madcat. words don't do him justice, so I won't even
try. Definitely a space alien.

Charley McCoy. He's the reason I play harp, so that says it all. For
several years, we have been 'just missing' each other. First it was at
the Ryman in 76, and lately it's Ft Myers (where he has a winter
residence). Well, we FINALLY met. Cool. He is currently rotating on my
screen saver.

Society Boys. Shelly Lulov, Tom Scerbo, Phil Caltebellotta. These guys
are friends and so I don't want it to seem like I'm giving them undue
accolades, so I will settle for FANTASTIC. Some really difficult
arrangements of some tricky tunes and everything worked just peachey. I
would have had a stroke attempting this stuff.

Harmonica Masters. Same as above. I have played several times with
Buddy Bobolink and MANY times with Frank Warner. Twice played with
Chris Bauer at after hours jass jams at spah & Buckeye. Chris and
company were nothing short of FABULOUS.
One of the two highlights of my trip was when I was invited up by Chris
Bauer & Phil Caltebellotta to take part in their seminar on jass
chromatic. We did a couple numbers. I was very appreciative.

The other highlight was when we sat at the dinner with Addison
Hitchcock's entire family. There we were sitting with the 'Big Kahuna'
himself. On top of that, John Meehan (who was the Kahuna in 89) was
also there with his wife.
  Addison is a big man with an even bigger heart. A true southern
gentleman of the highest order. Highlight number three 'would' have
been when Addison tried to get me 'snuck' into the Sat dinner
show...but I declined. I didn't want to ruin what was already a great
show. Truth be told, I was too intimidated.
For some reason Addison was placing me in a much higher category that I
actually inhabit. God bless him and thank him for THAT.

Other people Cass & I enjoyed seeing:
Frank Jameson, senior master chief super hero whom I spent time with at
the Suncoast Dixieland Fest in Nov 05.
Dr. Jim Gover, whose dixieland band I sat in with at the same Suncoast
Fest.
George Liaocopolis, whom participated in the very same Suncoast Fest.
Jack Ely, Danny Gajovski, Elmer Matilla, Ken Kwok, Linette Young, Rudy
& Dorrie Michelin, Gene Hansen, his honor Gary Cohen, captain Tom
Troestler, Marv Monroe, Roger Monroe, Carl Hall, Pat Queen, Bill &
Arlene Lackner, Judy & Al Smith, Valerie Redler.
Jeez, I hope I didn't forget anyone. If I did, forgive me and remind
me, as I am STILL high over this whole thing.

In conclusion, Addison singled me out to thank for the support. Wow I
don't deserve it. All I did was send a bunch of e-mails. I had already
decided I was going a year ago, and I wasn't going to miss this one.
I'm SO glad I didn't. Not meaning to slight anyone but you couldn't
beat this fest for hospitality, AND the hotel staff was INVISIBLE..with
none of the possible hassles.

God bless all the * S T A R S * that 'fell' onto Alabama.
smokey-joe