[Harp-L] Melody Maker blues

As previously promised, I've posted a recording of my solo Melody Maker blues "Big 17" to broadjam.com. You can hear the piece by going to broadjam.com, clicking on "search", and typing "Richard Hunter" into the artist name field. A list of my songs will appear; scroll down the list until you see "Big 17" (it's about halfway down) and click on PLAY.

This piece was inspired by "Tough Enough" by the Fabulous Thunderbirds -- not the big rock hit from one of their later records, but the bluesier song that appeared on their first record (on Rounder?), "Girls Go Wild." That song had an unusual structure -- a blues with a pause built in to every chorus -- and that's what inspired me to create the 17-bar structure in "Big 17."

The piece is played in 2nd position. In addition to the nifty melodies and chords that the Melody maker opens up, check out the big, colorful major seventh chord in the top octave that ends the piece with a Big Band flourish. Can't do that on a standard Richter tuning, no way; and it's nothing more than breathing in on a big mouthful of harp. Can't get a lot easier than that.

Enjoy. Check out any of the other pieces you feel like listening to on my list at Broadjam.com while you're there.

regards, Richard Hunter