[Harp-L] Re: Harp Legacy of Young Geezers

Dear List,

  I just turned 30.  I was away for small festival/giant outdoor house concert thing, and just caught up with Harp L.  Since the thread is fading, but I don't want to miss it, I thought I'd chime in.  I'm trying to be succinct, but it's a long story.

  -At the age of 12, I got "Country and Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless" at the LL Bean store in Maine.

  -Between ages 12 and 18 I messed with the book and harp a little.  Pivotal moments were figuring out "Piano Man" and "Low Rider" on harp.  That's when I realized you could listen and copy

  -At a very lame party in college, there was  a harp on the coffee table.  I played on it, and got encouragement.  I subsequently spent the next year or two blowing harp every spare minute. I studied a lot of blues, but a lot of John Popper too.

  -Played with a hippie/jam band in Blacksburg called "Rubicon Crossing" from 1996 to 1999.

  -I moved back to CT in 1999, and spent the better part of the next year re-learning how to play 95% tongue blocked.  I wanted to learn how to play the blues the "right" way.

  -I began voice lessons in 2001, Sang in public for the first time in 2002, and fronted my first full gig in fall of 2004.

  -I now have two groups, "ED and the Bluepills" and "JD Bone" attacking the electric and acoustic blues angles respectively.

  Key moments:
  --Being dragged onstage by Dan West of the Fat Daddy Blues band (first time onstage).
  --Meeting WVA Bob and getting great tips and encouragement from him.
  --Meeting James Harman in Honolulu during the summer of 1995 and him telling me about tongue blocking.
  --Meeting Rod Piazza  in Niantic, CT the summer of 1997.
  --Sitting in with Ryan Hartt and the Bluehearts a ton of times since 1999
  --Sitting in with Rod Piazza for the first time in 2002
  --Meeting Jason Ricci two months ago, and once again, re-thinking the whole thing.

  Despite the resources available to me throughout my life, I have done most of my harmonica learning by myself.  It's been a few books, a few well timed pro tips, and one formal lesson. . . . plus about a million hours listening to CD's, watching pro's live,  and just playing the darn thing.

  Dan G.

  www.jdbone.com
  www.edbluepills.com