Re: [Harp-L] Modes, was 3rd Position Tunes

In my mind, this whole issue of "do modes = positions" is actually simple.

If no bends or OBs are played, then a position equals a diatonic mode (the
Greek modes).
If no bends or OBs are played, then the Greek modes are relevant because
they, like the harp with no bends, are constructed from the diatonic scale
only.

But once you bend a note, you leave the system of diatonic-only (Greek)
modes. Positions no longer are equivalent to the Greek modes.  You are now
in a world of a more modern definition of modes – modes of the Lydian scale,
Melodic Minor, Harmonic Major, or even of any scale you want to make up.

Once you bend, you enter the realm of any other chromatic instrument, where
there are endless possibilities for theoretical analysis.

(These varying subject lines are wreaking havoc on my gmail threads.)