Re: [Harp-L] Modes, was 3rd Position Tunes

JP:
i never argued that modes and positions were not
related. in fact, i've posted about that alot here.
but Mike said they weren't the same thing and you
asked why not, i'm only answering your question.

And I appreciate your answer. Perhaps I'm guilty of reading too much into things.

Positions are positions, not modes or keys it's true. They are however more related to modes than to keys.

No matter what key harp I pick up, 2nd position always has all the notes for the Mixolydian, 3rd position all the notes for Dorian, etc. The position only becomes relative to the key after doing a bit of circle of 5ths mental gymnastics and choosing the appropriate key harp. Thinking of modes with respect to positions, if I can play a tune in some position I can play in any key by changing harps. If I don't think of that, and attempt to think of it as a key, I may or may not be able to play the tune. That's the point.

that is all. again, my point was only that positions
and modes are not identical. yes, they are related,
they're just not the same.

You can certainly understand or discuss modes without ever mentioning a harmonica. It's difficult to understand or discuss harmonica positions without modes rearing their head. I agree, they are not synonyms. I inquired about "Technically, positions do not equal modes". I asked because the technical truth that the words are not synonyms does not make the relationship less useful.

I'll leave it alone, you answered the question, I get your point, and probably Mike's.

Peace and music,
Dave