[Harp-L] Levy,Paparozzi,Meurkens Seminar

I am a diatonic player from NYC who was in good company this past Sunday at Rob's house in N.J. where he held this iconic seminar. Rob has to be the most generous guy in the business, all smiles and compliments. Whatever he can do to include and make you comfortable always seems to be his priority. Howard is pure music. While others are talking he's reaching for his harp or tapping his feet. He soared and descended on the harmonica in ways that would wake you up right at the point you thought something predictable was about to occur. Not being a chromatic player I'm not qualified to qualify Hendrik. He sounded very very fluid and expert. His personality was unpretentious and straightforward. In general there was nothing grandiose about any of these guys. The italian food wasn't bad either. There were attendee and teacher biographies. A song or two. And then a division of rooms between the diatonic guys and the chromatic guys (other than Rob's wife there were as is too often the case no woman). Howard led the diatonic and Henrik the chromatic seminars. Rob (symbolic of his ease between the two instruments) shuttled back and forth. As always there was a range of talent attending the seminars. Howard demonstrated and talked mostly about what else: overblows and overdraws. This next part is 120 % subjective: I have attended a few of D. Barrett's Masterclasses out in San Jose (hanging with Lee Oscar, bumping into Mark Ford, gaping at deLay and Primich, etc., etc.) and I never learn anything. But inspiration. Man these events galvanize me. Put me back on stage. One of the things Howard talked about yesterday is the absence of transparency in the structure of playing: you can't see a tongue or breath in action. When he listened to me momentarily yesterday in a very complimentary way he could guess the placement of my tongue. I do what is commonly known (I believe) as u-blocking, i.e., kind of curling my tongue right underneath the isolated hole(s). This exact habitual form prohibits me from emulating some sounds that were demonstrated yesterday at Rob's house and years ago at the Masterclasses. Doe's that stop me from going. Hell no. For me inspiration is a much greater currency than academics. And to witness so many excited people in one place with a shared passion. Wow. I hope Rob lassoes more of these unpretentious geniuses for future seminars at his home. As a new york city (where have all the blues clubs with national acts gone) guy I'm starving for them. Finally I have to say that watching the trio of Rob, Howard, and Henrik trading solos during a song, Howard doing solo piano post seminar, and Rob doing a chromatic song with piano accompaniment were worth the price of admission of the seminar. dennis (nyc)