Re: [Harp-L] re: watch it and weep

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "samblancato"
<samblancato@...> wrote:

> Dave writes: "..demonstrations of skilled
accomplishment may not be examples
> of good music."
>
> I agree.  I do appreciate the time spent to get that
fast but speed doesn't
> necessarily equate with good music.

no individual element of playing music equates to good
music, be it speed, accurary, tone, rhythm, dynamics,
what have you. you can have great tone, or great
rhythm and still play bad music. good music is more
than the sum of its parts, just a great speech is more
than a large vocabulary and a good speaking voice.
of course, just because no single element is the
essence of good music, that doesn't mean that people
who want to be the best musicians they can be
shouldn't strive to master as many of those things as
possible. each is simply another "ingredient," i guess
you could say, to add to the stew that is your music
(there's GOT to be a better analogy than that!! :)
maybe the analogy of colors you could add to your
painting is more apt... i dunno... hopefully you get
where the heck i was going with that before i
remembered how hungry i was and started writing about
stew....

  --Jp