Re: [Harp-L] re: watch it and weep

Dave writes: "..demonstrations of skilled accomplishment may not be examples
of good music."

I agree.  I do appreciate the time spent to get that fast but speed doesn't
necessarily equate with good music.  I love speed in the right place and at
the right time (listen to Charlie Parker's "Lover Man" and you'll know what
I mean), but just endless runs of 32nd notes is boring.

Another thing that always kills me is when a soloist, be it guitar or sax or
what ever, hits a triplet or some other quick phrase over and over again
across maybe the whole 12 bars or more and the crowd goes wild. Usually this
repeated phrase isn't as challenging as what was played in the rest of the
solo but for some reason crows of people seem to really go for the
sustained, repeated speed phrase.  Sometimes it works in that it builds
tension and drama; most of the time I think it's cheesy.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh