Re: [Harp-L] sp-20`s, MS, etc.

Brethren & Sisters of Whammin', jammin' and slammin' Harpin',

There are several "rules" of success in any endeavor, namely:
1.) If it works - DON'T FIX IT!
2.) If it fails to work - WHATEVER YOU CHANGED LAST IS WRONG!
3.) After completion - WRITE IT DOWN, because - IF YOU"VE SEEN IT BEFORE: YOU'LL SEE IT AGAIN!
4.) TEACH WHAT YOU"VE LEARNED!
5.) PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE!
6.) ANTICIPATE!
7.) ADAPT!

For those proponents of out-of-the-box harps it's never a simple matter of actually being able to play right out-of-the-box. Oh sure you'll find reasonable quality with almost every brand. However consider this:
all harps are in transit once leaving the point of manufacture, hence exposure to heat/cold, humidity, handling-handling-handling, and storage before they come to you.
Are they "in-tune" or close enough to what you can use? One harp some time ago was labeled in one key and, well, "not as advertised". It happens.
There is a practical side to being able, and willing, to modify or mangle your harps. One local club member has several dozen custom and personaly adjusted harps. Each one is magnificent. And the sound...superb! His investment in quality is an investment of time and self. (Also tools, tuner and a high dedication to quality output.)
This is not to say that any of us is less dedicated; we all expect, and get IMHO, a good quality from Bushman, Hering, Hohner, Huang, Johnson, Kay, Lee Oskar, Souza Band, Seydel and Suzuki as well as others.
Each brand has it's supporters and detractors. And once in a while there will be bad apple in the bunch. When that happens we need to get out our micro-tools, magnifying lenses, tuners, pens/pencils/notebooks and a LOT of patience, take a deep breathe and proceed.

The show, y'al, must go on!

Be Blues,

Suave Blues Man

----- Original Message ----- From: "drori hammer" <drori_hammer@xxxxxxxxx>