[Harp-L] Re: Nova Scotia harp?

At Winslow's suggestion, here's my brief report on the festival (slightly
edited):

The Atlantic Canada Harmonica Festival was a one-day affair attended by about
150 people - well up from the thirty or forty of last year, which was the first
(I did not attend that one).  There were, I suppose, twenty or thirty
performers ...  Dave Chiasson plays a light and lively Acadian style, with no
chording to speak of but with rapid single notes complementing the real melody
for a rhythmic effect that can really move the music along (if that makes any
sense!).  Dave and I both went over well, but it was not an impartial
audience:  most of them were obviously fans of old-time music, and were not as
taken with the blues players, although several of these were quite good,
including one, Phil Potvin by name, who played Sonny Terry and DeFord Bailey
tunes unaccompanied.  Another noteworthy player was a fellow named Frank Hart,
from New Glasgow, who accompanied himself on guitar and played some old-time
tunes with a southern inflection - "Old Timey" I suppose you'd call it.

Another notable was Mike Curry, from Dartmouth, who played some Irish standards
in a straight-ahead, traditional manner (with chording).  There were also a few
elderly players from the local area who did some old-time tunes in, again,
straight-ahead trad. fashion.

The festival is on Aug. 19 this year.  I'll be there!

- thurg