To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 6:35 AM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Stuck 5 Blow and Draw Stuck On Brand New Golden Melody

>Hello

I got great advice from you folks a month ago and purchased the Jerry Portnoy course thank you all you mailed me.

However I have another problem I need advice on. I also bought a Hohner Golden Melody in the Key of A for the course . Was in the box for a couple of weeks and have been playing it for about a week.

The five blow and draw are already sticking awful and I was so careful to take care of it. I was checking Amazon and the vendors return policy and don't think

I will get any satisfaction on a harmonica.I had lost my apartment and close to everything. I borrowed money and got an advance on my April 12 birthday gift to get the course and the harp..

I am assuming I am going to have to buy a new one and do not want to take this one apart until I have to . After I know they will not let me return it.

I am so upset and terrified I will screw it up since i do not know what I am doing. It seems like something might just be stuck in there.

Can any of you folks help me?Well it was worth a try, it sure seems like you all know what the hell you are talking about so it was worth a shot.

Mark Seagrave

You've probably got something stuck in there as you say, unless it's a gapping problem (you'd get a slight delay known as choking before the note sounds when you play hard). Best thing is to just take off the covers and have a look. It's only a couple of screws, but use the right screwdriver and don't overtighten when you replace them. The problem may be staring you in the face (usually a beard-hair in my case) or you still may not see what's up. Now the experts hereabouts may shoot me down for suggesting this, but when I get this hassle with a plastic-bodied harp and I haven't time to dismantle everything I rinse the harp thoroughly under a gentle stream of tepid water (You can even do it with the covers on, but the water gets at things better with 'em off). Wrist-flick most of the water out then tap the harp sharply on your leg. Gets the muck out 95% of times. Failing that you may need to do a little very tentative poking down the holes with a fine-pointed implement of some kind. Do what doctors do - the least invasive measures first, the trickier procedures failing that. Good luck.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm