Re: Re: [Harp-L] modeling vs tubes

I'll be honest here, I know VERY little about modeling amps. I had a couple of effects pedals that seemed
to require a degree to operate so I gave up on the overly technical gear years ago. If the modeling amps
emulate a tube amp well, that's a step in the right direction. I am curious though, do they have the ability
to play warm and drive hard when played hard ? that's one thing that I love about a good tube amp. It
can sound real nice and warm and you can bite in to it when you want and drive the hell out of it.

Scooter

scooter wrote:
The only problem with that (for me, not everyone) is that transistor
distortion is typically harsh and well, distorted. I've alway's
preferred the warmth and overdrive of tubes. That's not to say that
I havent heard people sound good through solid state gear. .

The "distortion" that modeling amps use isn't traditional "transistor distortion". I agree completely that when a solid state amplifier is driven to clip or distort it sounds pretty bad. But modeling amps are designed to run very clean, with the effects of tube distortion emulated by signal processing below the clip level.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/