Re: [Harp-L] When the Levee Breaks

IMHO, the definitive version is the first, by Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie. No harp on that one though. It's only fair to mention that I'm not partial to the British Blues recordings from the sixties. Don't think that's a majority opinion. <g>

Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell

Ronald Tuffel wrote:
Riched20 5.50.30.2002;Brandon,

When New Orleans was flooded I wanted to see if it would be appropriate
to play "When the Levee Breaks" on my radio program and began to do a
little research. Everything that "G" and everybody chipped in was
absolutely correct, but an additional amount of info suggested that the
harp and drums were also recorded in a spiral staircase with landings and
the harp was on a lower level than the drums. The echo effect of the
stairwell was reduced and reworked but supposedly the idea came from
Robert Plant. Regardless of fact or fiction the song is a great Led Zep
offering.
Many groups did some stoned things while recording in the late 60's and
early 70's. And, enough people were in the same state of mind. So, groups
dangled microphones out the window of recording studios and threw out
various pieces of band equipment to experiment with the exploding effects.
Remember.... some folks destroyed guitars, drum kits, lit fire to guitars,
etc. in the old days during performances live on stage and sometimes they
forgot and did so long before the performance was supposed to end. Also a
method for groups that were double booked to end one gig to get to the
next. Good luck learning to play the song and achieving the effects, but be
careful on the stairs!

Play the blues!

Rockin'Ronny