[Harp-L] Non-Oskar Tombo Diatonics

Anyone else have any experience with Tombo diatonics not bearing the Lee Oskar name? I know they're not distributed in North America, but a couple of years ago a European friend brought me a couple of Tombo Ultimos he purchased in a shop in Paris. I liked these harmonicas quite a bit -- particularly after some fiddling around with them -- and have always been looking for more. Last fall I ponied onto a friend's order from an Australian shop called "Ozwinds" to purchase a few more for my set, but was disappointed that the Aussies couldn't get the "odd keys": Ab, B, Db, Eb, and F#. This spring a friend in Japan did me the HUGE favor of walking into a shop in Tokyo and buying the rest of these keys off the shelf. He also sent me a Tombo Aero Reed, with it's polished, chromed comb and covers.

I have been using the Ultimos to build myself a set of Melody Maker tuned harps, retuning them, tightening the reedslot tolerances, and treating them with nail polish at the reed roots to enable the overblows. I use this tuning pretty frequently with the jazz quartet I play with. These are fabulous harps! They sound great, they're extremely comfortable, the construction is high quality (imagine a Lee Oskar with full-length covers), and I'm hoping they'll have the same legendary longevity, though I haven't blown out a reed on any harp in 20 years.

I haven't had a chance to crack into the Aero Reed yet, but that will come soon. If you'd like to take a look at these harps, I built a little web page for them with pictures at: http://www.workingmansharps.com/Other/

Highly recommended, I just wish they were easier to get!

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/