[Harp-L] Programmable EQ

The other day I bought a new toy for my setup, a programmable equalizer, the Alesis DEQ230. My thinking was that since my rig doesn't have tone controls, I needed something to contour the sound. I had played with the equalization a bit through my home recording setup, and knew that there were a lot of possibilities there, but I didn't want to have to futz around with adjustments during a gig. With a programmable EQ you can build your curves and store them, and recall them at the touch of a button.

I recorded some sound samples with a number of the preset curves that come with the DEQ230, and put them up on my sound samples page. You can download and listen to them here: http://www.workingmansharps.com/Sounds/other/. I did my best in the descriptions to detail how the curves looked, but it's obviously difficult with 30 bands (I use mine mono, with one side for each of the two channels in my setup). I apologize in advance for the clams in the playing, these were just rough cuts (the same piece played through each curve) and I only did one try.

I'm totally fascinated with what this device's capabilities, and only wish I had more time to mess around with it. In time, I'm sure it'll get integrated into the sound more completely.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/