[Harp-L] Fwd: I.A.J.E. and Harmonica Performances - alternate link

Here is another link to the performance submission forms in case the one posted in the original email below doesn't work for you

 http://www.iaje.org/iaje.aspx?pid=62

-----Original Message-----
From: IcemanLE
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:26:32 -0500
Subject: I.A.J.E. and Harmonica Performances

The International Association of Jazz Education (www.IAJE.org) has become the leading force in the jazz world for direction, the future of jazz, the recognition of lifetime artistic achievement in jazz through the NEA participation, networking in the industry and exposure of talent.

Once yearly there is an International Convention lasting 5 days, containing workshops, discussions, interviews, performances and roundtables. It is here that many important people within the jazz and music communities "hang" for a week and make connections. A lot of the performances are looked upon as possible auditions for festivals or recording contracts, as many booking agents and record labels attend.

Here is an opportunity for wider recognition of talent and connections in the jazz industry.

There has been a severe lacking of harmonica at IAJE, aside from an occaisional appearance by Toots, Tollak Ollestad, or a sit in by Gregoire Moiret.

Having been intimately involved with the shaping and success of this organization for the last 15 years, it finally occurred to me to bring this lack of harmonica performances up to the convention producer, who also happens to play diatonic for his own amusement. He told me that the reason there has been so little harmonica included is that no harmonica players are submitting audition tapes to the committee for consideration.

So, to help correct this problem, here is the direct link to the submission requirements for performing at IAJE (biggest jazz convention on the planet -  7-8000 attendees) - www.iaje.org/iaje.aspx?pid+28.

Although the audition committee has evolved into a group of jazz people at this time, a few of the core members are friends of mine through my affiliation. While I am not able to sway the decisions made, I am able to make sure that certain submissions are, shall we say, put at the top of the pile for consideration and serious listening.

What excites me is the interest in broadening the music scope of this convention. Until recently, it has been fueled by traditional jazz. Lately, I've seen Dr. Lonnie Smith or Stanley Turrentine lay down a set of pure greasy groove or blues, as well as some smooth jazz and world music performances.

Next convention is in Jan, 07, in New York City.

Check out the website for more info.

The Iceman