[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Lung capacity

Thought I'd weigh in on the lung capacity subject...
Hyperventillating, as some have said, is not a good idea...you can pass
out...I've also done my share of swimming and found the best and safest way to
increase my lung capacity is to exhale as much air as you can and then force
some more...this eventually can cause you to yawn...(a yawn is your body's
natural way of getting more oxygen)...as you yawn, draw in a huge amount of air
and increase your lungs and chest...you are not hyperventilating since it's
just one breath of air...I've used this technique in competitive swimming very
effectively...as some have said, muscles draw the oxygen...the more you can
relax them, the better you'll hold your breath...luckily for us harmonica
players, we can inhale and exhale while playing...you get to save up air for
blow notes and hope a draw note comes along soon when you've been playing many
blow notes...more often than anything, I will end up with too much air than not
enough...I don't think about it, it's just the way it works...also on the
chromatic, in certain keys, you end up with an unequal amount of blow to draw
notes...blues players do many draws and draw bends, so are hoping for a few
exhale (blow) notes here and there...we also can exhale thru the nose while
also blowing notes with the mouth...Toots has said he has athsma, yet always
has enough breath for that beautiful tone...
Pete Graber