Subject: [Harp-L] Overblows

Alvin writes:

"Started in a band which steals blues covers and adds new lyrics. I  like
these guys and love the music. Considering that it's usually EAD,  EAD, I
don't know if I feel like a thief or not. Cutting a record next  week and
kinda feeling like someone will say, HEY! ~That's just  Crossroads with a
harmonica solo!~ Anyone else ever sweat  this?

Der Binger"

....I think you answered how you're feeling about it yourself,  Alvin....in
your first line...."steals" blues covers.  The music is  just as much
copyrighted as are the lyrics to a song...aren't  instrumentals also the property of
their writers?  I believe you need  permission from the owners of any song
before you record  it...it's been posted here before just where to obtain that
permission,  but I don't remember who posted it..but here's a link I found online
you  might want to take a look at.  (I just did a quick scan and  they mention
the Harry Fox Agency which I do believe might have  been the one previously
mentioned here).

_Click  here: Music Copyright -- Guides -- Multnomah County Library_
(http://www.multcolib.org/guides/copyright/music_pub.html)

Elizabeth