[Harp-L] Blues on the chromatic

It's always a good idea to check the archives as well. There are several postings on this subject from a couple of years ago.

Blues on the chromatic is a very subjective thing. What kind of blues are you listening to? Are you one of these guys that heard Little Walter and decided that was all you ever wanted to do with your life? Nothing wrong with that. Listen to him, George Smith (who does little for me personally on chrom) or William Clarke, others mentioned. Do you prefer rock blues? Do you like twisted stuff? Are you a classic, black, Chicago fan or a Stevie Ray Vaughan person? The truth is, these are all very different sounds, very different chords and types of energy. What is "The Blues", anyway? Some think it's one thing, few can agree. Try Paul Delay's chrom playing and see what you think. The Harmonicats recorded some nice blues. What kind of Blues do you like? That will narrow it down quite a bit.

I love to play the blues on the chromatic. I like my blues chromatic playing better than anyone out there. Hubris? Maybe. I love Bill Barrett and there's Stevie Wonder, who is not typically playing "Blues" on the chromatic, although one might argue technique-wise there's little difference. I would. Do I have recordings of my best chromatic "blues" playing? Not really... If I'm going to kick down 10 grand for a record that expresses who I think I am, I'd rather try something different. I respect people who use their instrument's potential in the Blues, and have grown beyond the D minor draw chord/octave blowing that was popular over 60 years ago. Everyone poses with a chrom, don't they? Ignorance truly is bliss.

As wide an appeal the harmonica has, there's not a huge market for people stepping outside the extremely limited paradigm, and even the old diatonic masters are for the most part currently parked on their couches. Every time I tried to record something fresh and innovative using chromatic in a "Blues" vein, it was shunned by Blues club owners as "too jazzy" and written off by Jazz people as "blues" or soul, or whatever. Maybe I just sucked. I'll never know. My point is, it's a tricky area. In the archives, you'll find JP Pagan giving a great review of me playing blues chromatic in Barcelona. I wish I had a recording of that night! I love Jimi Hendrix, originally found the "Blues" from Led Zeppelin before I discovered the old cats. For whatever reason, I am not capable of writing or producing a kickass, cliché "Blues" album. Every time I try, I screw it up by trying to make it more "Interesting"... In my mind, what's interesting about that music is the passion and on the edge balance of emotion and delicate restraint that allows someone to express themselves so completely without harmony or their chops getting in the way. Obviously not so easy... Maybe that's why the apparently limited diatonic, with it's richter tuning, has been the choice harp for raw expression. Too much freedom can really bog you down!

If you want to hear some different Blues on the chromatic, check out Bill Barrett's "Backbone" as well his other recordings, from my albums: Intercâmbio: "Joe's Fried Chicken" (Featured on Raw Record's "San Francisco's Best Blues" compilation), my searing chromatic solo on Cubacambio: "In my time", Half the solos and intros on Scrapbook, especially "Jaded", "Student Loan" and "Funk ala Fax", and solos from "Pocket Pool" and "Uh-Oh" on my ne'er to be released "Blue World Order" project. I'll post some links later.
Are they 12 bar shuffle blues? No. Do they sound like "Juke"? Hell no. But if that's what you're looking for, then maybe you should be asking different questions. Mike Turk and Howard Levy can play spectacular blues on diatonic harmonicas, but most of us have grown beyond the blues harp of our forefathers. Not to dismiss it's beauty and appeal. Listen to it. Study it. Learn as much from it as you can. Then take a theory class, practice and learn how to create your own thing. For all of the flack John Popper gets for being limited in scope, he did what few of us are capable of: Developed his own way to play the blues harp, developed his own sound and became an icon. Few on this list can boast the same. Sucks, huh?

For those of you who honestly want to hear some "blues chromatic", I suggest you do a couple of things: Expand your horizons on what the "blues" are, Spend some money and support some chromatic players out there. Take a risk! You know who we are! I'll give you a money back guarantee. Listen to new music a few times, don't write it off right away, the best stuff is often an acquired taste, or over your head. I finally get music that turned me off 10 years ago. And lastly - if you are playing harmonica and interested in the chromatic - get out of your box and expose yourself to some scary, freaky music. Go to the other extreme! Some of the best "Blues" I have heard have come from African records. Labels will stop making sense. Your wife will hate your music. Your kids will be scared. You won't be able to listen to the radio much anymore. Hang in there - It's worth it!

Damien Masterson  http://www.damienmasterson.com
or enter my name in any search engine
415 305 7138   damienzm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Damien Endorses Hohner Harmonicas and Audix Microphones