[Harp-L] fender #2 inputs

Hi, recently discovered harp-l, been going through the archives, what a great resource! This is my first post. I have two large amps for playing big or outdoor venues. A '66 super reverb and an early bassman reissue. For years I have been using the weaker #2 input jack, (reverb channel w/super, normal channel w/ bassman). It allows me a lot more headroom before feedback with a bullet mic, and a wider throw on the volume. Was curious if anyone else out there does the same thing. Any drawbacks to this? I hear a lot of talk about preamp tube switching to accomplish the same. I've never tried it. Is that a better alternative and how does it affect tone? Thanks harp-lers. Manny