RE: [Harp-L] Chromatic harmonica case, part 2

George Leung wrote:
"I have decided to build a new lining with a foam block; however, what
kind
of foam block would you recommend, and also where can I find them in
general? Also, what's the expect price range for a foam block?"

My advice would be to go to an upholstery shop. They will have foam in
all thicknesses and densities. They also have the tools to cut the foam
with precision versus using a hobby knife at home. The cost will
probably be minimal. They may not have the time or desire to cut it for
you, but I'll bet that you can get the piece you need for free because
it will be considered a "scrap" from a larger job. If they have a good
supply of the scraps, get all you can. They will come in handy for
future endeavors.

For what it's worth: Foam is a material made up of many tiny cells.
Open-cell foam is soft and very flexible. This is what is in your sofa
cushions. As you sit on the cushion, the air easily escapes from the
open cells.
Closed-cell foam is more firm and used for shipping, insulating and
protection purposes, etc. (Styrofoam is a type of closed-cell foam, but
is made from a different material. The kind I am referring to is usually
blue, red or grey in color, and slightly glossy. It will not break if
bent.) Because the cells are like little sealed chambers, no air escapes
when the foam is compressed. Also, because the foam cells are air-tight,
this material is virtually waterproof. You could hold it under water,
release it and it would pop to the surface. Try that with your sofa
cushion and it would sink like a rock.

Probably more than you wanted/cared to know, but that's my two cents
worth.

John Balding