[Harp-L] Re: Bill Barrett

It was an absolute pleasure and honor to have the Barretts (minus two of their kids) staying at my tiny apartment earlier this month.
Bill had festivalgigs in France, and combined that with a short visit to Antwerpen.

Since he was coming over, ofcourse I tried to arrange a gig for him at the Crossroads Café, the only local bluesclub, where they do some jazz on Monday nights.
I asked Leo Wijnkamp (some of you may remember his solo albums on Kicking Mule Records in the 1970's?) to dust of his guitar and do the accompaniment for the evening.

Apart from Bill's great playing, the immediate click with Leo, and the very appreciative audience, the night was also nice because it turned into a mini harmonica festival.

Besides a couple of set openers by yours truly, Wim Dijkgraaf was invited and played some incredible jazz, some of it in duet with Bill.
Steven de Bruyn (who was to play with Bill in France) came over to jam with him, and later in the evening Jason Ricci rode in with his skateboard, and played two songs acoustically.
Also, a local (but good!) harpplayer called Steven Troch played a duet with a canadian harper (Matt?) who was on tour (I apologize I don't remember his name and can't find his card).

It's a pity Bill Barrett isn't better known in Europe yet.
I'd love to see him come over more often.
Anyway, since someone asked about Bill, I thought I'd write this short review.

Ludo