Re: [Harp-L] Just intonation - a shortcut??

samblancato wrote:
> I want to try to do my own just intonation tuning - but by a
> different rout. I read on this list various posts that lay out
> the tuning schemes for just intonation and frankly they all sound
> like a hell of a lot of tedious work.  What I'd like to try is to
> just slightly sharpen or flatten the appropriate reeds and forget
> the whole tuner driven thing wherein you go up or down so many
> cents.  I want to just try doing it by ear.  I realize this may
> not seem too exact to a lot of you guys but I think it's doable.

This isn't crazy, it's the way it *SHOULD* be done!  Since what it
sounds like is the point, this is the only way to get it "exact".

You can tune a harp to JI by just using the tuner for one note, then
do the rest by ear.  Here's how:

Tune the 1 blow to your reference pitch.  If that's A=442 or A=443
or 10 cents sharp or whatever, get it perfect.  Now tune the 4 blow
to a perfect octave by playing the two notes and listening for
beats.  Assuming the 1 blow is perfect, adjust only the 4 blow until
you hear no beats.  Tune the 7 blow another octave higher, using the
same method, and then the 10 blow.  Make sure they're perfect, these
are your references.

Now you can tune the 3 blow to a perfect fifth, the same way.  Use
your finger to block the 2 blow and play the 1 and the 3 blow
together, and also check the 3 and 4 blow together.  When the 3 blow
is perfectly beatless, tune the 6 blow a perfect octave higher.
Check it against the 4 (block the 5 blow with your finger) and the 7
blow.  Repeat this with the 9 blow, checked against the 6 (octave)
and the 7 and 10.  Now go back and tune the 2 blow to a beatless 3rd
against the 1 blow.  Play the 1-2-3 blow together and go for a
beatless chord.  When you get it, tune the 5 blow to a perfect
octave, and check it with the 4-5-6 chord.  Repeat this with the 8
blow, an octave above the 5, in the chord with the 8-9-10 blows.

Once the blow plate is finished, reference it to the draw plate by
tuning the 2 draw to *exactly* the same note as the 3 blow.  Now
tune the 4 draw to a perfect, beatless fifth below the 2 draw.  Use
your finger to block the 3 draw to play the 2 and 4 draws together.
Once you have the 4 draw, tune the 1 draw to the octave below.
Check it against the 2 draw by playing the two notes together.  Then
tune the 8 draw to the octave above the 4 draw.  The octave might be
a bit of a stretch, but make sure you've got a clean draw on both
holes.  Next, tune the 6 draw to a perfect 5th below the 4 draw.  It
should be beatless when checked against the 4 draw and the 8 draw.
When you have that right, tune the 10 draw to an octave above the 6,
and check it against the 8 draw (5th).  Back down to the 3 draw,
which should be a perfect 3rd above the 2 draw.  Play the 2-3-4 draw
chord to get it right.  Then tune the 7 draw to an octave higher,
and check it against the 5th on the 8 draw.

Once that's done, the only thing left is the 5/9 draw, the flat
7th.  This is a little tougher, because you have to decide if you
want a perfect JI (7 limit) intonation, or something else.  If you
tune the 5 draw to a beatless interval with the G chord, it will be
VERY flat compared to the same note on equally tempered
instruments.  That's okay, if that's what you want.  Another option
is to tune it a little sharp, so that the 4-5 draw combination
produces a difference tone that's a 2nd a couple of octaves down.
That can be hard to hear, and it might be easier to just get the
tuner out.

I guess that's not much of a "shortcut", but it's a perfectly
suitable way to get a well-tuned harp that relies minimally on a
tuner.

Of course, an easier way is to use the tuner to get it close to the
deviations from 12TET indicated by the tuning charts, and then tweak
it by ear.

Have fun!

-tim

Tim Moyer