Re: [Harp-L] Beginning overblows

Once you've got the 8,9,10 blow bends, go to hole 6 and do the same.
It's important to have the note you are aiming for in you're head. The
overblow on hole 6 should produce the same note as a half-step bend on
draw 3 or a full bend (whole step) on hole 10.
 It can easily be played sharp or flat, and so there is a bit of work
in getting it right. If no result and a nervous breakdown is impending,
try removing the covers and sticking your finger over the six blow
reed., as suggested by Pierre. This will force the draw reed to function
as a blow reed, which is what you are trying to achieve anyway. This
might help you get a 'feel' for what you are trying to do.
This note is a good one to start with, as you can use it in first and
second positions in the same way as you would use the first 3 hole bend
and the full bend on hole ten.
Gapping is very important if you are going to get serious about using
this technique, but I discovered the hole 6 OB on an 'off the shelf"
harp, and it usually works in varying degrees of success on any half
decent harp.
One thing I've noticed about overblows is tha the overblows/draws are
achieved in exactly the same way as conventional bends. EG:(On a 'C'
harp) With the exception of the bracketed notes, each group, the D
flats, A flats, E flats, B flats and G flats (F#) are achieved with
basically the same mouth shape. Hole 1 OB is always a bitch, however,
for most of us.

Hole 1 draw bend=Dd
Hole 4 draw bend=Db
Hole 7 OD=Db (just think of it as a conventional draw bend)

Hole 3 1&1/2 step bend=Ab
Hole 6 1/2 step draw bend=Ab
Hole 9 OD=Ab (think as above)

Hole 1 OB=Eb; (think conventional blow bend)
Hole 4 OB=Eb; (ditto above)
Hole 8 blow bend=Eb:

(Hole 3 1/2 step bend-Bb)
Hole 6 OB=Bb (ditto above)
Hole 10 whole step bend=Bb

(Hole 2 1/2 bend=F#)
Hole 5 OB=F#; (ditto above)
Hole 9 blow bend=F#

Good luck. Remember, the first twenty years is the hardest part.
RD