RE: [Harp-L] Stupid volumes and egos

Re: Rick Dempster's Comments:
"I suspect we often listen to music recorded fifty or more years ago at
louder volumes than it was recorded or played live at. A look at the
power of PAs used in the past, and onstage practices (did anyone put
their amp through the PA in 1956? I doubt it.)"
RD

Exactly. A lot of older amps had microphone inputs on them in addition
to the instrument input. Although the mic input was little more than a
marketing ploy, I am sure that in some cases it was used, and the amps
WERE the P.A. systems.
Also interesting to note is that the Bassman circuit was actually
intended for use as a P.A. amplifier circuit. The sticker (required
under license agreement) inside of all of the original Bassman amps
read: "Licensed under U.S. patents of American Telephone Company &
Telegraph and Western Electric Company, Incorporated, for use only in
public address systems ...systems for distribution from radio broadcast
receiving sets or musical instruments".
Not much point in putting your 36 watt amp through the 36 watt P.A.!

John Balding