From: George Brooks [mailto:gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 8:01 PM
To: Harp-L; WinslowYerxa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Paul Messenger
Subject: Consecutive overblows (WAS Howard Levy update)

Winslow writes:

 >On top of that, the tunes I heard express an important
 >concept that I seldom hear talked about or utilized:
 >the way that overblows lie on the harmonica
 >RELATIVE TO EACH OTHER. For instance, he
 >exploits the Eb minor arpeggio that lies naturally
 >in the overblows in Holes 4, 5, and 6 on a C harp.

Paul Messinger tells a story from The Golden Age Of Augusta, back when
Howard Levy taught there.  Paul may even have this moment on videotape.
  Howard had amazing technique back then (1992 or so), but he has
advanced tremendously in the intervening 14 years, as has the
understanding of how to set up short harps for chromatic playing.  So
back in '92, he mentions to his class that it should be possible to do
a clean run of consecutive overblows.  He may have even referred to
arpeggiating the Eb minor triad.  And the most advanced overblowers of
the day, among them Carlos del Junco and Sandy Weltman, raise a chorus
of "No way, man!  That's impossible!"  Maybe Paul will chime in and
tell the story more accurately, or just better.  He was there.

The technique is better understood now, and the harmonicas are vastly
improved.  I know several people who can cleanly articulate the Eb
minor triad in the middle register.  If that's old hat to you by now,
here is something truly challenging to try.  I have been working lately
on playing various scales and arpeggios over the full range of the
harmonica.  Have a go at arpeggiating an Eb minor chord  beginning on
hole 1 and extending it all the way to hole 10.  Here's the mechanics:

1OB (Eb)
2 Draw half-step bend (Gb)
3 Draw half-step bend (Bb)
4 Draw bend	(Db)
5 Draw (F)
6 Draw bend (Ab)
7 Blow (C)
8 Blow bend (Eb)
9 Blow bend (Gb)
10 Blow whole step bend (Bb)
10 OD (Db)

Noter the minimal number of breath direction changes, especially if you
leave off the 10 OD.  There are 5 (!) draw notes in a row, followed by
4 blow notes, and, if one leaves out the 10 OD, there is exactly one
note per hole and no skipped holes.

I played this for Chris Michalek over the phone.  He said my 1OB was
flat, and he was right.  Back to work!

George