To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2006 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Stupid volumes and egos

At 02:41 AM 6/11/2006, you wrote:
half the guys up there playing were wearing ear plugs while they played.

"With all due respect," that's just stupid. Send these guys out hunting with Dick Cheney. Darwin, do your stuff.

Was the host drunk-deaf? Did anyone stop and beg "enuff!"?

I think the Volume Vampire is often alcohol-fueled, as it dulls the hearing. And of course Vvlad (enter name of your favorite Marshall-stacked-plank-spanker/rock-drummer/screaming front-person here) has some culpability in egging on rock-hero-posers into fantasies of arena shows full of nubile groupies pawing at your feet . . . I digress, hmmm, wait a moment please . . .

BUT after all pleading and threats fail, there is a tack that's worked at jams which I co-host, such as Elmtree jams: I simply unplug and say if ya can't hear me acoustic, turn down. It works for a song or two, more if others unplug too.

And sometimes (when the drummer hasn't a soft touch?) I give the drummer a set of brushes, even hide the sticks! And just don't invite back the ear-impalers.

Hey, some of my best friends play rock n' roll . . .

Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx