[Harp-L] wikipedia harp

Fernando wrote:

"And actually, there are editors for wikis. That is, anybody can be an editor (2 bladed knife)"

Which is both the strength and the curse. It works wonderfully for media type pages where obsessive fans can edit minutiae, but for actual history (which inherently needs an opinion) and factual data (which requires not just knowledge but understanding) it tends to fail miserably.

"And I believe that the work of editing the information available to the best of your knowledge is as important as the work to add new information, "

Agreed.

"and that, as the page gets more popular, more aknowledged potential editors might want to change what they know is wrong or misleading, thus refining the quality of the information display. "

Except that is not how it really works. As it gets more popular more and more novices add their two cents and it actually becomes harder to edit. Also, you do have to justify your edits, which can again be difficult--this is where opinion comes in. Take the "positions" section. I've actually edited that several times, but it keeps being changed back to what most people would view as fairly misleading (how many times have people on harp-l stressed that position and mode are not the same thing?). Wikipedia allows people who have just gotten a grain of information to edit, and they often do (think of how excited you were when you first got online--you did everything that came by and thought it actually mattered). Check out any other subject you actually know a fair amount about (aside from media types). The same amount of inaccuracy applies throughout.

"I haven't checked the page, but you could have changed yourself the quotes that you have selected, contributing to the wik"

I have, but again, it's effort. The truth about things like this tends to be that the people who have the most knowledge and the most to actually say on the topic tend to also not have the time, energy or desire to get involved because of the frustration level. It's also why certain of the most knowledgeable people from harp-l's past tend not to post anymore--it becomes frustrating repeating oneself over and over and having to justify positions already taken and explained to newbies. Wikipedia is the same.

I said that I have in fact edited much of that page and written a fair amount of the text. But I got tired of it because it really is a massive effort for no reward--the attempt to constantly correct the misinformation is ongoing and never ending. So why bother? For the greater good?

Garry Hodgson wrote:
"well, first of all, a wiki is just a technology. some have open editing,
some do not. so you may as well say, "like all web sites it is a mixed
bag at best". come to think of it, that might not be far off the mark. :-)"

True. I should have said wikipedia in specific.

"but the key point to wikipedia is that you can participate. so if you don't like
what's there, why don't you fix it?"

I have. And invariably either the old problems return or new ones come up. In the end, it's futile.

"it would likely have taken you less time
than pointing out all the shortcomings.  "

No, it wouldn't. It would take at least a day, if not more--I actually thought about it. Plus, wikipedia doesn't allow massive deletion of information for the most part which is what is needed in large part--the entire thing needs reformating into a single central page and then smaller more specific stubs; that's a ton of work, certainly more than a brief email to harp-l.

" this list has plenty of people who
know an awful lot about harmonica, and if only a few of them
took a little time and effort, that section would be stellar."

No, it wouldn't. Because they would not be the only contributors. Besides which, one of the things that is best about harp-l is that much of the information is debated. You can actually see on the wikipedia site where such debates and viewpoints come in and end up conflicting with each other.

The idea of wikipedia is great, but like most things that propose true democracy, it is inherently flawed by the fact that people are not actually equal. Thus the punk analogy. There was some great punk music, but a ton of crap as well. Same with anything that allows _anyone_ to participate: some good, but a ton of crap. Now, for politics it's hard to see a better way, but for the dissemination of information on most topics, there is no reason to treat everyone equally. An evolutionary biologist shouldn't have to continuously correct the quacks on the subject that he's actually worked hard to learn in detail. That's the problem.

Which pretty much concludes any potentially harmonica-related parts of this subject. If people wish to continue, I suggest we do so offlist. Another option would be to post theoretical corrections to harp-l and then have a group or individual make those changes (good luck, and see if it is as easy to clean up as the supporters make it seem).

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'