Re: [Harp-L] Behringer V-Amp Pro Multi Effects Unit

Rick in Davis wrote:
I'm thinking of trying a multi-effects unit for harp,
  but the Line 6 rack unit is $700. The similar Behringer
  product is only $179, and it is 24-bit.
Any experience with these?

If you want a rack unit, either of these should do the job.  JP's comments to the effect that you can buy-to-try through Musician's Friend are correct.

I find that floor mounted units do a great job, including the Digitech RP series pedals, which is what I use, and they're a lot less expensive than the Line 6 rack (and generally better suited for live performance).  The Digitech GNX series pedals cost half what the Line 6 rack costs, and they do some pretty remarkable things.  A number of people on this list have used the Line 6 POD with great results, and I think the new ZOOM units with USB interfaces look very interesting.

Whatever you buy, get something equipped with a foot pedal, which you can use to control all sorts of elements in your sound.  Out of the box, your unit will be set up for guitar, and most of the built in presets will feed back heavily with a mic.  Cutting back the GAIN parameter should fix that for many if not most presets.

Brief commercial message: I sell a set of 40 patch setups for the Digitech RP 200 (also usable on the RP 100 and 300 with minor mods) for $10.  A number of harp players have bought them, and the feedback so far is very good.  If you decide to go with an RP, and you want to reduce your effort for setting the thing up, contact me.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com