Fwd: [Harp-L] St. Anne's Reel and a pragmatic tuning for same

Most players I know just play it higher up on the harp. Even with
Paddy Richter you'd need to constantly bend Draw 2 down if youn played
it in the lower octave. (There is a tuning where you lower both Draw 2
and Draw 3 2 semitones, but then you're out of luck when you need the
regular Draw 3 note in that particular melody).

If the tune is being played in D, then a Low D is your ticket -this is
why the standard tremolo D is a low D.

Winslow

6B 7B 8B 9D 8B 8B 7B 6D

6B 5B 6B 4B 6B 5B 6B

6D 5D 6D 4D 6D 5D 6D

6B 5B 6B 4B

etc.

WInslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Gary Lehmann" <hqr@...> wrote:

Hello folk harpers--
In my attempts to create tunings for the instrumentals I perform with a
local folk music ensemble, I have been retuning diatonic harmonicas of
late.
St. Anne's Reel gets played a lot, and I wasn't happy with any of the
tunings, so I got busy and now I have a variation of Paddy Richter (oops,
retuned the one I made two days ago) that I am not finding referenced
anywhere.
It goes as follows:
1 4 6 1 3 5 1 3 5 8
3 5 7 2 4 6 7 2 4 6
Those being the major scale degrees.
And so I have two questions for those who are interesting in replying:
Is this an existing tuning, and
What do most folks use to play this tune? Do they just play it in standard
tuning in the higher octave?
Thanks,
Gary