Re: [Harp-L] Take the A Train

"jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" wrote:
<I've just posted my attempt at the head to "A Train" at Chris' <website... Let me know what you think!

I thought this sounded strained, starting with the first notes. The bends are all trying to break free, with a lot of "sliding" attacks into the bends and wavering on the held bent notes. The difficult passage JR referred to in bars 5-6 of the head is pretty shaky in terms of pitch and phrasing.

This is not the kind of smooth elegance I associate with Duke Ellington. It has to be a lot better than this to convince me that the XB-40, or any other diatonic, is a better choice than the chromatic for this piece.

Standard disclaimer: This is my opinion only, and creators everywhere are welcome to pursue their own muse wherever it leads them, whether I like the results or not.

Thanks, Richard Hunter