Re: [Harp-L] learning to over blow

"JAMES SUPRA" wrote:
Is the gapping of the reeds the most crucial step in venturing into getting
the harp to respond differently? I feel as though I have good control over
my instrument, as far as how i'm controlling the air, reeds and overall tone
(unamplified).... but I have trouble choking the reed. Is this because my
gap isn't set correct? Does the reed have to be set higher or lower to get a
better choking response?

In general, gaps should be set as low as possible for overblowing.  If the reeds respond poorly to high volume with low gaps, try playing with less force, or gapping a little wider, until you find the settings that work best for both overblowing and hard playing.

Hohner harps tend to overblow more easily than Lee Oskars, at least until you know the technique well.

regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com