[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 34, Issue 8

J.R. wrote:
"For instance, the head to the Strayhorn (Ellington band) piece "Take the "A" Train" is, IMO,
unplayable on diatonic and pretty close to it on chromatic (at
speed)... It's really not much better on chromatic--the jumps, speed and
particular slide usage are just plain nasty.  I can do it, but not
well.  Perhaps the traditional trio players might have insight into
this, as they seem to have a great ability to play quite fast with
similar tunes.  But, I've never heard any harmonica player do this
piece that I can recall, so that might be significant."

Will Galison played this piece onstage at speed at the 1999 Buckeye harmonica festival.
Don't know what key, or how he managed the jumps.  I think this head is another good
argument for corner switching; it's the only way I can play the line in bars 5-6 at anything
close to speed.  However, some players clearly manage big jumps and rapid changes in
direction without corner switching, Howard Levy being the obvious example.

J.R. continues:

"Which leads to another question.  What would one recommend as a good
starting point for working on classical harmonica transcriptions?  I
know the Bach flute and violin pieces have often been done, but what
ones in particular would those who have tried recommend for starting
out?"

Try the Bach 2-part inventions.

Regards. Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com